Thursday, May 24, 2012

Long Stories Short.....


It's difficult trying to take what we have experienced and sum it up into words. It's seems like we have been hiking for months, but it's only been 5 weeks. Leif and I have been hiking since Sunday morning , averaging 18 mile days. I think I starting to get some tendinitis in my right knee from all the up and down mountains, it's not so much the distance, but the terrain that lays wast to my legs. I can't wait to get out of these damn mountains and get to lower elevations. I took a short day yesterday May 23rd with 6 miles, split from leif and koda and went to Kincora Hostel to rest my knee, gonna meet them later today at a cross roads 15 miles outside of Damascus. I'm glad I decided to stop at Kincora; it just so happens that it is well known to thru hikers, and Unbenounced to me, the two guys who run the place Bob and Panama Jack are legends in the long distance hiking community, it just emphasizes my ignorance of AT tradition.

Something's that I have noticed in our experience so far!
1. Tree tops are a good sign; it means your almost at the top of a mountain.
2. The way you are raised, and military field experience pays dividends. hiking the AT is not an excuse to let your self go and look like a total bum, Nore is it healthy. Having some dignity and self respect out here is something to be proud of, because it's rare.
3. Racism still exists especially in the back country ( self explanatory), and ignorance is actually quite comical Lolol
4. Sunny days continue to make me smile, and for the first time in my life have I found my self walking along just smiling for no apparent reason and just because.
5. Cars make me queezy now.
6. I have had more hotdogs and hamburgers in the last month, than I have had in a few years. And more regular soda than I have had in 10 years.
Much more to come stay tuned!
Nomad


Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Actually talked to u early today, figured I should probably get around to checkin out ur blog. Gotta say Bro I'm really happy for you and somewhat jealous. Can't remember the last time a sunny day made me smile... i'm gonna have to work on that. Be safe brother. MT

    ReplyDelete
  2. MT,

    The pleasure was mine! Thank you so much! We will connect soon!

    -Chris aka Nomad

    ReplyDelete