Thursday, May 3, 2012

Look Out Tower- Fontana Dam

We are ending our second week on the AT and we are finally starting to show our fitness levels with finishing this week with 100miles. Adam is definitely a stronger hiker than me ; I assume because he has lived in Colorado for the past year which enables him to climb like a freaking mountain goat, but I am slowly catching up and getting faster. Most of the soreness only lingers overnight then I'm strong again. We climbed a few tough mountains one of them embraced us with 8 miles of uphill, which Adam admitted was the hardest 8 miles of his life and I agree was hands down the hardest of mine. He even admitted he was sore after; which brought a smile to my face, because until that moment nothing seemed to affect him lol.

We are both surprised at the resilience of some hikers who are not on the fitness level of even myself , but they all drive on like warriors some slow; some faster.

This past week I can honestly say that on two occasions i was as cold as I have ever been in a sleeping bag, when the temp dipped below 30degrees, miserable isn't the word for it, coda was even shivering and she is made of fur! A funny thing happen early one morning, coda decided she was gonna chase after a deer. It took Adam every bit of 30 minutes to track her down, and when he did there she was disheveled , dirty her pack turned upside down and as happy as could be. Adam was pissed, but I felt bad for her being on punishment ; she only did what came natural when chasing after a four legged creature much like we humans chase after two legged ones - if u get what I'm saying lolol. She is strong much like her human it's really heart warming to see the two of them together. Now she is on a much needed down time at a kennel till we finish the Smokey Mountains

( dogs are not allowed at state parks) we will see her soon.
I have noticed that lately we get hungry fast, even after breakfast and then can't wait to eat dinner ( at which I may add I am a field chef!!! )

Now we are at the Fontana Dam shelter, considered the Hilton with thru hikers because it sleeps 24, and has a shower and picnic benches over looking the lake.

 (Adam)




We are on our way to Gatlingburg, TN on Wednesday and Thursday which will be a zero hiking day for us.

Many more miles to hike and it is definitely what you make of it ; just like life in general. Gods speed to all the soul searchers on the Trail
- Nomad

Sent from my iPhone



We are in Gatlingburg, TN we have traveled 206 miles so far. We did are longest hike to date at 19miles yesterday, then another 11 to town. We are relaxing in a hotel for the next day, much needed rest since we were both at our limit today. We are officially in the Smoky Mountains! I have lost over 15 lbs so far and Adam about the same, we are pounding the protein to recover..
Stay tuned for great pictures !
-Nomad

Sent from my iPhone                (Pictures are above)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your progress! Keep up the great work and keep the gorgeous pics coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drive you guys have is truely amazing!! Keep it up!!
    Amazed Viewer NST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Eargasmic and Tash! Please check back in for more updates!

    -Warmest Regards

    Chris Aka Nomad

    ReplyDelete